This herbal tea is a 100% organic product that consists of a tasty blend of turmeric, ginger, and black pepper. These three spices are traditionally part of Indian cuisine and create a rich and delicious flavored tea that is full of antioxidants. Read this review of Buddha Teas Turmeric Ginger Tea and learn more about this healthy and exotic herbal blend.
In addition to warm and spicy flavor, the main ingredients of this tea offer many health benefits. The combination of turmeric and ginger provides us with antioxidants, promotes good digestion and helps with soothing inflammation. One great thing about this product is that it consists of high-quality organic ingredients and has a very affordable price.
Buddha Teas – In Harmony with Nature
Buddha Teas founder John Boyd wants his company to operate in harmony with nature. This means that all the production is as sustainable and environment-friendly as possible. No pesticides, additives, or flavorings are used in any of their products.
Buddha Teas uses only organic or wild-harvested ingredients of the highest quality. I really like the fact that no natural or artificial flavors are added to their products. They trust in the natural flavor of herbal ingredients. They also have a campaign for planting 5000 trees per year to compensate for the use of paper in their tea bags and packages.
The tea bags are always bleach-free and the boxes are made of recycled material. The bleach-free tea bags are more friendly to the environment and contain no harmful chemicals that could be dissolved in the tea. Even the prints on the boxes are done with soy-based ink that is 100% biodegradable.
- Price: click here to check price on Buddha Teas Store
- Amount: 18 tea bags
- Type: organic herbal blend in tea bags
The main ingredients of this tea are, of course, turmeric and ginger. Buddha Teas uses high-quality organic turmeric and ginger root in combination with black pepper to provide a blend with great taste and many health benefits.
This tea is loaded with beneficial compounds that help with digestion, reduce inflammation and pain, provide immunity support, and improve cardiovascular health!
Turmeric is a plant that belongs to the same family as ginger and is native to Southeast Asia. Its healing powers have been known for thousands of years and it is used in Indian and Chinese traditional medicine. The health benefits of turmeric and its effectiveness as a herbal remedy has been later verified with several studies.
The main active ingredient of turmeric is curcumin, which also gives it a distinguishable yellow color. Curcumin is a polyphenol with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anticancer properties and its health benefits have been proven by scientific research.
However, the bioavailability of curcumin is low, meaning that our bodies can not absorb it efficiently. This is unless there is some other ingredient that will boost its bioavailability. This will be addressed in more detail a bit later.
Here are the main health benefits of turmeric:
- Remedy for join pain: Curcumin has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help with reducing arthritis symptoms and protect our joints against inflammation and swelling.
- Promotes cardiovascular health: Turmeric can improve the lining of blood vessels, which reduces the risk of heart disease. It also helps with reducing LDL cholesterol (“bad cholesterol”).
- Helps with digestive problems: In traditional medicine, turmeric is often used as a digestive aid. It helps with reducing IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) related pain, heals gut inflammation, and improves digestion by stimulating the gall bladder to produce bile.
- Supports healthy metabolism and weight loss: Curcumin stabilizes blood glucose levels and reduces the risk of diabetes. It also reduces stress levels and the growth of fat cells.
- Promotes brain health and improves mood: Curcumin boosts BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor), a protein that helps the brain growth and health. It keeps our serotonin and dopamine pathways healthy, which improves mood and protects our brain against aging and neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Strengthens immunity and reduces the risk of cancer: Curcumin protects us against cancer as it is an effective anticarcinogen. It also boosts immunity by regulating immune cell function.
Like turmeric, ginger is an essential part of eastern traditional medicine and cooking. It is one of the most powerful herbal remedies and its health benefits are backed up by research.
The most important bioactive compound in ginger is called gingerol, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It also gives ginger its unique natural fragrance along with other natural oils found in it.
The most important health benefits of ginger are listed below:
- Relieves indigestion and nausea: Ginger has many beneficial effects on digestion. It aids digestion by stimulating saliva, bile, and digestive enzymes (e.g. trypsin) production. It can also help people suffering from morning sickness during pregnancy and relieve nausea caused by cancer treatments.
- Helps with colds and cough: Ginger tea is an effective natural remedy for colds and flu. It has antibacterial properties that help with getting rid of pathogens. In addition, it acts as a natural antitussive and expectorant helping with suppressing the cough as well as ejecting the mucus from your lungs.
- Reduces pain and inflammation: Gingerol, shogaol, and other substances found in ginger have powerful anti-inflammatory effects. It is also effective in reducing the symptoms of dysmenorrhea and relieving muscle and joint pain.
- Supports the immune system and prevents cancer: The antioxidants in ginger help with strengthening our immune system and reducing stress. It can also help with fighting against several different types of cancer cells.
- Lowers cholesterol and improves heart health: Ginger protects us against heart problems by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. It also improves blood circulation by stimulating the heart muscle.
Black pepper is one of the most common spices used all over the world, and it also has many science-backed health benefits. It is high in antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, improves brain function, and may help with lowering cholesterol.
Black pepper contains piperine, which is a bioactive compound similar to capsaicin that is found in chili. The reason why black pepper is a very important ingredient in this tea blend is its ability to enhance the absorption of curcumin. A study from 1998 found that piperine increased the bioavailability of curcumin by up to 2,000%.
How to Brew It
Use freshly boiled spring water (or distilled water) and pour it in a glass or mug with a teabag. Let it steep for at least 5 minutes. This tea needs to be steeped for a while in order to let the flavors and beneficial compounds dissolve in the water. I prefer covering the glass and steeping the tea for about 10 minutes. Sometimes I even use two bags to make it extra strong.
After brewing the tea for 10 minutes the color is light yellowish-brown. Don’t worry about steeping it for too long, the taste doesn’t become bitter or too strong.
During a hot summer day, you might prefer your tea cold. Use one of these iced tea makers and you will have a refreshing glass ready in no time!
Taste and Aroma
Buddha Teas Turmeric Ginger Tea has a nice fresh and spicy aroma. The taste is warm and soothing with a bit of spiciness. Even if you brew the tea for 10 minutes the taste is not very strong but it remains smooth and gentle.
Stronger ginger tea might even cause a burning sensation in your throat, but you don’t have to worry about it with this product. I think it’s also good that there is only a hint of black pepper in the taste and it’s not overpowering at all.
Buddha Teas Organic Turmeric Ginger Tea Review
I think that Buddha Teas organic turmeric ginger tea is a great product that offers a delicious tea blend with numerous health benefits at a great price. It has a smooth and pleasant taste, but some people might even think that it’s not strong enough. If you want to make it stronger, you could try using two tea bags to make a stronger brew. Or check out my article about the best ginger tea products to find stronger ginger tea.
I have been suffering from heartburn and acid reflux and drinking this tea after a meal really helps me with digestion. I also feel like the pain in my elbow has been reduced during the last two weeks when I have been drinking about two cups of it per day.
I hope this product review was useful to you.
If you are suffering from digestive issues, joint pain, or just want to enjoy a delicious and healthy tea blend, I recommend trying Buddha Teas Turmeric Ginger Tea!
The best place to get it is the Buddha Teas online-store. They have a great variety of quality teas and offer free shipping in the US for all orders above $50. They also have distributors in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, just click the link to go their online-store and choose your location from the top bar.
Have you tried Buddha Teas turmeric ginger tea? Please post a comment below and tell me about your experience. Also, if you have any other comments or questions, feel free to share them!