The traditional way of brewing and enjoying yerba mate includes a gourd and a bombilla. But you don’t necessarily need them to make this energizing and healthy herbal tea.
I often prepare my yerba mate by simply using a French press. Read on and find out how to do it!
Why Make Yerba Mate in a French Press
Here are a few good reasons to prepare your mate tea in a French press:
- If you don’t have a bombilla and a gourd this is a great way to brew mate tea.
- You can easily make up to 4 cups of yerba mate and serve it to your friends.
- It’s also a very convenient way to prepare just one cup.
- Easy to adjust the strength of your tea.
How to Make Yerba Mate in a French Press
All you need for making yerba mate tea in a French press is some loose leaf yerba mate and clean drinking water
And of course, you also need a French press.
Don’t have one yet?
Here is my recommendation:
Cafe Du Chateau French Press
This high-quality French press is made with durable borosilicate glass and 304 stainless steel.
I often like to also add other ingredients to my yerba mate. This time I mixed in some dried peppermint leaves and ginger root.
I used Canarias brand loose leaf yerba mate but there are dozens of great mate brands to choose from. If you are planning on buying some, check out my recommendations for the best yerba mate brands.
Here is how to make yerba mate in a French press:
- Add some loose leaf yerba mate in a french press. You can use 1 to 2 tablespoons per one cup of water depending on how strong you want it.
- Add a splash of cold water and let it sit for a minute. This will help with preventing the mate tea from becoming bitter.
- Now you can put some additional ingredients in the French press if you like. I often use ginger and mint.
- Pour the hot water (65-80 °C or 150-175 °F) in and let the tea steep for a few minutes.
- Press the plunger down.
- Pour into cups and serve!
Now, you might be wondering how to get the water temperature right.
One option is to buy an electric kettle with a temperature control function. You can also just boil some water and then wait for a few minutes for it to cool down a bit.
A few additional tips:
- Try adding different herbs when making your yerba mate to find your favorite blend. You can also add honey or sugar if you like your tea sweet.
- When you want a strong energy boost you can use more loose leaf yerba mate per one cup of water.
If you like your yerba mate sweet but healthy, add a dash of manuka honey. It’s a superfood known for its antibacterial properties and many health benefits.
I recommend that you check out this guide with the best manuka honey products to make yerba mate tea that is super good for your health.
And of course, using a French press for tea is not limited to just yerba mate. You can make anything from green and black tea to various herbal teas with it.
Please post a comment below and tell me about your experience of making yerba mate with a French press.
Enjoy Your Mate Tea!