Yerba mate tea is a South American drink that gives you energy and has many science-backed health benefits. It is traditionally brewed in a gourd and drank with a metal straw (bombilla).
But maybe you are looking for an easier way to enjoy a cup of yerba mate?
Yerba mate tea bags provide the most convenient option for preparing this energizing beverage.
Here is a list of yerba mate tea bags reviewed in this article:
- Guayaki Organic Mate – Best Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Bags
- Numi Organic Tea Mate Lemon – A Tasty Blend of Yerba Mate, Lemon Myrtle, and Green Tea
- The Mate Factor Yerba Mate – Best Unsmoked Organic Yerba Mate Tea Bags
- Yerba Mate Cruz de Malta – Nice Traditional and Smoky Option
- ECOTEAS Organic Yerba Mate – Great Unsmoked and Smooth-Tasting Product
- Taragui Yerba Mate – Good Quality and Affordable Price
What’s Great About Yerba Mate Tea Bags
The traditional way of preparing yerba mate includes a gourd and bombilla, which are used to brew the tea from ground yerba mate leaves.
This might be too complicated if you just want to try how yerba mate tea tastes and feel its energizing effect.
Compared to the traditional method, yerba mate tea bags are a far easier and more convenient option for preparing your daily dose of this amazing drink!
Most South American yerba mate consumers and other experienced materos are used to carrying their gourd and bombilla around with some hot water in a thermos. But I know there are a lot of people out there who just want to try yerba mate or drink it occasionally. Usually, they are not ready to buy a gourd and bombilla and carry them around.
Also, yerba mate tea brewed in the traditional way has a strong and distinctive taste, that everyone is not used to.
Yerba mate tea bags are a perfect option for beginning mate drinkers who are looking for a hassle-free way of preparing this drink.
Recipe Tip: Iced Yerba Mate Tea
You can also use yerba mate tea bags to make iced yerba mate.
There are 2 options:
- Brew the tea normally with hot water (160-180°F / 70-80°C) and let it cool down. Pour in a glass with plenty of ice.
- Cold-brew the tea by letting the tea bag(s) steep in cold water in the ref for a few hours or overnight.
Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and mint leaves to make it even more delicious!
How Much Caffeine is in One Cup?
Preparing yerba mate with tea bags produces a drink with less caffeine compared to the traditional method.
One cup of yerba mate brewed with a tea bag contains about 30 mg of caffeine which is approximately the same as in green tea (25 mg) and much less than coffee (120 mg).
If you want to know more about caffeine and yerba mate, read my article about yerba mate caffeine content.
6 Best Yerba Mate Tea Bags Reviewed
Next, I will introduce some of the best yerba mate tea bags on the market, so that you can choose one of them and try it!
1. Guayaki Traditional Organic Mate Tea Bags – A Familiar Taste in a Tea Bag
Guayaki Yerba Mate Tea Bags offer an excellent starting point for those new to this beverage, as well as for anyone seeking a simple preparation method. These tea bags combine the genuine experience of a traditional South American drink with the convenience of easy preparation, making it readily available to everyone.
- Amount: 75 tea bags (7.9oz / 225g)
- Type: Organic yerba mate tea bags (lightly smoked)
Guayaki is a North American yerba mate brand. They have Fair Trade and Kosher certificates and their organic, sustainably sourced yerba mate is produced in Brazil. It’s the largest US-based yerba mate brand.
Guayaki yerba mate tea bags have the same great flavor as their loose leaf yerba mate.
Yerba mate brewed with these tea bags has a mild and soft taste with an earthy flavor.
Each bag contains 3 grams of yerba mate which is not that much. So if you have a big teacup, I recommend using 2 bags for one cup of hot water.
Of course, this depends on your personal preference — how strong-tasting mate you like and how much energy you need from it.
- Consistent flavor and quality
- Authentic taste, capturing the essence of traditional South American yerba mate
- Organic, ensuring high-quality, chemical-free leaves
- Price is higher compared to non-organic mate brands
2. Numi Organic Mate Lemon Tea – A Delicious Mixture
As a yerba mate aficionado, exploring different blends is always exciting. Numi’s Organic Mate Lemon tea bags present an intriguing combination of traditional yerba mate and the refreshing zest of lemon.
This blend is designed to offer a unique twist on the classic mate experience, making it a standout choice for both mate enthusiasts and those new to this South American tradition.
- Amount: 100 tea bags
- Type: Tea bags with organic yerba mate blended with green tea and lemon myrtle
Numi is a company that was founded in 1999 in Oakland, California, by a brother and sister named Ahmed and Reem.
Ahmed travels around the world seeking special herbs and flavors that are mostly unknown in the United States. Numi produces several types of tea products known for their high quality and unique flavor.
Even though Numi organic yerba mate tea bags are not pure yerba mate, I chose to introduce this product because of its excellent flavor and quality.
These tea bags contain a mixture of organic South American yerba mate, Australian lemon myrtle, and green tea.
The taste of the tea brewed from these tea bags is very pleasant. It’s a stimulating combination of earthy mate flavor with lemon and some green tea in the background.
- Refreshing lemon flavor adds a pleasant twist to traditional yerba mate
- Organic certification ensures purity and quality of ingredients
- Offers a balanced energy boost, similar to traditional mate
- The lemon flavor might overpower the mate for purists
3. The Mate Factor Yerba Mate – Fresh and Ecological
Mate Factor’s Yerba Mate tea bags are an amazing option for those who prefer high-quality unsmoked yerba mate with a fresh and grassy flavor.
- Amount: 72 tea bags (24 x 3 packs / 9oz / 255g)
- Type: Unsmoked organic yerba mate tea bags
Mate Factor is also a US-based company that specializes in yerba mate products. Their products are organic and they emphasize sustainability by using solar power and committing to Fair Trade principles.
Mate Factor yerba mate tea bags contain very fresh and green looking leaves which give the tea a grassy aroma.
These bags don’t have any strings or tags attached, and they are made of cotton, making them 100% biodegradable.
- Unsmoked yerba mate is a healthier option
- Fresh and green with a pleasant taste
- 100% biodegradable tea bags
- Certified USDA Organic
- The flavor might be too mild for some materos
4. Yerba Mate Cruz de Malta – Traditional Taste and Quality
Cruz de Malta is a well-established yerba mate brand known for its robust and traditional flavor. These tea bags offer a surprisingly strong, earthy, and smoky aroma in a convenient form.
- Amount: 50 tea bags (5.3oz / 150g)
- Type: Yerba mate tea bags
Cruz de Malta is an Argentinian yerba mate brand that uses traditional production methods. They produce high-quality mate tea that especially experienced materos appreciate.
This mate has been smoked during the drying process, which adds smoky flavors to its already strong and bold taste!
- Bold and smoky flavor that can be brewed multiple times
- Excellent traditional Argentine mate
- Consistent quality across batches
- The taste might be overwhelming for newcomers to yerba mate
5. ECOTEAS Organic Yerba Mate Unsmoked – An Environmentally Friendly Choice
Ecoteas Yerba Mate tea bags are unsmoked and offer a distinct flavor profile. These tea bags are organic, sustainably produced, and come in an eco-friendly packaging.
- Amount: 24 tea bags (1.7oz / 48g)
- Type: Unsmoked organic yerba mate tea bags
ECOTEAS was founded in Oregon in the year 2000 by three lifelong friends. The company has a mission of supporting organic agriculture, fair trade, and sustainability.
One way of practicing their ecological mindset is by packaging their products in compostable materials and using wind power as the source of energy in their office.
ECOTEAS yerba mate tea bags are 100% unsmoked. This mate is produced with a unique 2-step process to ensure a smooth and clean taste!
- Unsmoked and fresh flavor
- Sustainably produced
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Certified organic
- Easily gets a bitter taste when brewed for too long
6. Taragui Yerba Mate – Excellent Quality with Affordable Price
Taragui Yerba Mate is renowned as a classic and straightforward mate, particularly popular in Argentina and gaining traction in the United States. Known for its simplicity and robust flavor, it offers a traditional mate experience in a convenient tea bag form.
- Amount: 80 tea bags (2x 40 tea bags 8.4oz / 240g)
- Type: Yerba mate tea bags
Taragui is a traditional Argentinian yerba mate brand that has been produced since 1924.
These yerba mate tea bags are individually wrapped in plastic to keep the flavor from weathering down over time. It also allows you to take just one, or a few, tea bags to carry with you, even in your pocket!
- Relatively strong and bold flavor
- Traditional Argentine cut with medium-to-broad leaves
- Provides a traditional mate experience
- Some may find the taste too straightforward or lacking in complexity
Find Your Favorite Yerba Mate Tea Bags!
The advantage of using tea bags instead of traditional loose-leaf yerba mate is, that they are easier to use. Also, some might find the milder taste that they produce more pleasant.
Another convenient option for enjoying yerba mate is to buy some canned yerba mate energy drinks.
If you like your tea stronger but want to make it with tea bags anyway, you can just use several bags for one cup.
Of course, this is not the same as using a gourd and a bombilla, but it can still produce a nice strong mate with a bold taste and proper energy boost.
When you want to enhance the flavor of your yerba mate tea, you can add some milk, honey, mint leaves, or a dash of fresh lemon juice, to your cup of yerba mate tea.
Or you could just try the Mate Factor tea bags introduced in this guide, where yerba mate is already mixed with other ingredients.
I hope that this article will help you find the right product for your preference.
Please post a comment or question below and tell us what is your favorite brand of yerba mate tea bags!